Wednesday, August 10

Statistics

Accute Pulmonary Embolism is the number one "unexpected" cause of death in The United States. More people die each year of PE than breast cancer, aids, and heart attack combined, although PE is usually associated with other medical conditions such as heart disease and cancer. In my typical case, a blood clot formed in my right leg. My leg felt cramped so I stood up to shake it out, the clot rushed to my lungs and prevented them from delivering oxygen to my blood. I passed out.

The mortality rate is not good. %10 die in the first hour. %80 die if they don't make it to a hospital immediately. Only %30 die if they do. Five hours passed between the onset of my PE and when I called an ambulance.

In the ER I amost received thrombolysis (aka clot buster) which would increase my chance of dying but might have been the only choice. (cost: $20,000). I spent two days in ICU on heparin and morphine. Many nurses and doctors treated me as if I was dying in those first few hours. Then I got better.

I will be on the anticoagulant coumadin for 6 months or a lifetime with regular doctor's visits. The possible side effects are not pretty but not too common. The chance of recurrence is %10 in the first year, %30 in the next 8 years. The chance of developing other circulatory problems is fairly high. Coumadin makes me bruise easily, bleed easily, and can cause gangrene. It is the active ingredient in the rodent poison D-Con Mouse Prufe. Coumadin reduces the good coagulating properties of Vitamin K (green vegetables, garlic, liver). Long term coumadin use decreases life expectancy. So does city life, driving a car, and going to work.

Apparently I am too young, too healthy and too physically active for this to have happened. There is likely an underlying cause that may never be determined. I will probably have to live with statistics and how I defy them for the rest of my life.

Time to move on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home